Spring is the perfect time to get your home back in order after a long winter, and a spring cleaning checklist is a must to do the job properly. You want to be able to enjoy warm spring days with the windows open, but it’s difficult to sit down and relax when those open windows are covered in a layer of grime. Here’s a look at Daisy Maid’s ultimate checklist for your spring cleaning.
Before we get to the nitty-gritty of surfaces and areas you need to focus your cleaning on, let’s do a brief overview of cleaning basics. A general rule of thumb for each room is to clean top to bottom in a circle. Cleaning this way will help minimize the amount of time you spend in each room, so you don’t do things like clean the countertops in your kitchen first and then drip cleaner onto them while you’re scrubbing the cupboards above.
Another good thing to keep in mind is what type of cleaning solution you are using. Every surface in your home has different cleaning recommendations, so if you’re unsure how to clean it, it’s best to start with a small, inconspicuous corner first. A good multipurpose cleaner should do the trick. Homemade cleaning solutions can also be highly effective, like a bucket of hot water with a small amount of powdered laundry detergent dissolved into it.
As far as other supplies go, you’ll need a reliable vacuum, plenty of soft microfiber cloths, and gloves to protect your hands. The vacuum will make your life much easier, we promise! Vacuum the entire room first before you start scrubbing anything. You can use your vacuum attachments to clean hair and lint out of drawers, remove buildup from the tops of baseboards, clean out bins in your refrigerator, and so much more. You’ll save yourself a lot of heartache and time spent pushing grime around by vacuuming all of your surfaces first.
While each room has its own set of specific checklist items, a handful of things need cleaning in every room. These include the following:
- Wash the walls and the baseboards
- Clean the light fixtures and replace any burned-out bulbs
- Mop or vacuum the floors
- Vacuum out the air vents, even the ones in the ceiling
- Wash the windows and wipe out window tracks
- Dust every surface, including bookshelves and blinds
- Wash any window treatments
- Disinfect light switches, doorknobs, and other high touch point areas
- Test the batteries in smoke detectors
Clean the following areas of your kitchen thoroughly. Don’t forget, top to bottom, in a circle.
- Empty the refrigerator and defrost the freezer. Remove refrigerator shelves and allow them to come to room temperature before you clean them. Cleaning cold glass shelves with hot water can cause them to shatter.
- Pull out your refrigerator and oven and clean underneath and behind them. Wash the newly exposed walls and vacuum the floors.
- Scrub out the inside of the microwave.
- Run the self-cleaning cycle on your oven, allow it to cool, and then wipe it out. Use oven cleaner on your oven door but don’t forget to protect your floors underneath it as oven cleaner will damage them.
- Take everything out of your cabinets, wash underneath them, and put them back. While you’re at it, get rid of things you don’t use anymore and organize what you decide to keep.
- Wipe down small appliances like the toaster, air fryer, coffee maker, etc.
- Wash the fronts and sides of all of your cabinets, scrub the countertops, and sanitize the sink.
The kitchen and the bathrooms are the most challenging and involved areas to clean, so don’t get discouraged! Do what you can when you can. Here’s a look at what to tackle in the bathrooms:
- Empty cabinets and drawers and wipe them out. Sort through the contents, get rid of unnecessary items, and organize them back in the cabinets.
- Scrub the shower and bathtub. Don’t forget that shower door!
- Use vinegar to dissolve any scale buildup on showerheads and fixtures.
- Wash floor mats and shower curtains–most can be washed in the washer.
- Scrub the toilet bowl and wash the exterior of the toilet. Did you know most toilet seats come off easily? We recommend removing it completely and washing it in the bathtub.
- Wash the exterior of all cabinets and clean countertops and sinks thoroughly.
Bedrooms and Living Rooms
Once you’ve handled the more difficult areas, the bedrooms and living rooms will feel like a breeze. Make sure you do the following:
- Wash all linens, including throw pillows.
- Rotate your mattress.
- Vacuum all furniture, including between couch cushions.
- Move all furniture and vacuum underneath and behind them.
- Organize any shelves, cupboards, and closets.
You might feel like you’re almost done with your spring cleaning checklist, but there are a few miscellaneous areas to cover. You might not have all of these at your home, and you might also have areas that we don’t cover here. But this is a general idea to get you started:
- Clean behind your washer and dryer, and dust off their tops
- Vacuum out the lint trap in your dryer
- Clean your washing machine’s filter and–if you have a front load washing machine–sanitize the inside of the rubber seal
- Clean out and organize your garage
- Spray out trash cans and recycling bins
- Wash exterior windows
- Spray your outdoor furniture and deck with a pressure washer
- Wash your front door
- Clean outdoor light fixtures and replace burned out lightbulbs
- Disinfect your keyboard, mouse, and desk in your home office
Daisy Maids Are Your Spring Cleaning Experts
We get it; life is busy. And sometimes, cleaning your home falls to the bottom of the to-do list. That’s why Daisy Maids is here to help. If this spring cleaning checklist feels overwhelming, we’ll handle the cleaning for you. We will clean your home on whatever schedule works for you: weekly, monthly, the occasional deep clean, and even move-in and move-out cleaning. We also offer disinfecting services to keep your home and family safe during this unprecedented time. Our professional house cleaning services are available in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the surrounding cities, including Taylorsville, West Jordan, and Sandy. Contact us today to schedule your next cleaning service!